Cataclysm is a game that has been compared to Dwarf Fortress, and they do share quite a few similarities - large, detailed worlds thick with lore, minimalistic graphics, opaque interfaces and dense, intricate mechanics. However, Cataclysm goes for science fiction and horror elements over fantasy, taking place in a near-future New England where basically every bad thing that could happen has - zombies, mutants, cyborgs, militia groups, Lovecraftian monsters, giant insects and disease are all constant threats, and you're just stuck in the thick of it all trying to survive. Learning to hunt, farm and craft will certainly help, but if you want to be more of a risktaker, you can also train yourself up in combat, install bionics, experiment with mutagens and drugs, and try to take down anything in your path. You even get the ability to weld vehicles together into massive multi-engined wheeled fortresses a la Mad Max: Fury Road if you can survive long enough (and secure enough fuel to keep them running). Once again, a very dense and punishingly hard experience (you have a very good chance of dying within minutes of starting the game), but extremely rewarding once you master its intricacies.
Top 100 PC Games, #90-81
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness/Beyond the Dark Portal (Blizzard, 1995/1996)
89. Lode Runner On-Line: The Mad Monks' Revenge (Presage Software, 1995)
fan remake, which also adds four player co-op and gamepad support.
88. Horizon's Gate (Rad Codex, 2020)
87. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Black Forest Games, 2012)
86. Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Kevin Granade and a lot of fans, 2013)
85. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (CyberDreams, 1995)
84. Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo Studio, 2020)
212-story monstrosity near Melbourne that obviously doesn't really exist - but these are honestly amusing rather than distracting. Whether you're a die-hard flight fanatic who wants to control every little switch on the control panel or you just want to kick back, relax and enjoy the sights with a controller or even on full autopilot, Flight Simulator is a sublime experience for those who can run it.
83. Empire Earth II (Mad Doc Software, 2005)
82. Freedom Planet (GalaxyTrail, 2014)
81. Master of Orion (Simtex, 1993)